Skip to main content

Too long a break

I've taken a really long break from writing - thanks in good measure to frequently disrupted internet connectivity. Added to that, my new "occupation" that never is, has also began and is eating up my time and health. I couldnt even record my experiences of the last year and explore what I might do this year on time. So here goes...

Hopefully, like last year, this year too, I am looking forward to change. Many lessons were learnt and unlearnt last year, which began with a few painful happenings and peaked with my dad's undergoing a medical crisis. In the end, everything fell in place: dad's back in top condition, happy events(including a full two days spent with Swami Dayananda Saraswati, at his ashram!), new people, new hopes and as usual - backbreaking work.

I travelled last year, though not as much as I wanted and not to too many new places. I am yet to learn a new language(German!). I have read loads of books, but far lesser than I could have with the time on my hands(which I spent watching a lot of movies instead :P). And I have written a lot lesser too; being lazy and hesitant does that you.

Throughout the year 2011, I did not have any money, almost. In spite of that, I was quite happy and my confidence has actually received a boost. It had its consequences - thanks to my increase in confidence, I've allowed my tongue a free rein in many situations, but during none of them was I imprudent. I have been quite free with my criticisms, but I also was sensible enough to think, many times deeply, before I expressed myself.

So this year, I still want to do most of what I did last year - travel, learn a new language, read and write. As for the writing part, I want to write at least 1000 words per day, regardless of whatever else I do. Most of it would be safely stored away, only for my eyes, while some of them will have their time on my blog.

Await my reviews of all the books that I read and a few movies too.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Questions

I ask a lot of questions. No, I change a lot of my statements to questions. Why? It induces people to respond. As a rule, questions beget more responses than statements. That way, I'm sure to elicit an answer - from myself or from someone else - most of the time. I naturally do ask a lot of questions - to myself. Even if it were intended to another person, I wait to ask. May be in the course of a talk or speech, my questions will be answered, instead of me jumping the gun. And many a time, I downplay my questions and don't ask them in public. I find it easier to approach someone and ask them questions face-to-face. This is also to create an opportunity to personally know someone. Asking questions crystallizes ideas or problems. It is then easier to express or execute the idea and find solutions to problems. Asking the right question, to the right person, at the right time is an art. It comes to a few people naturally; to a lot of others, with practice. So, if you need som...

The Million Dollar Suitcase - A Puzzle

Sometime back, I encountered a puzzle posted by a member in a LinkedIn group. It was called a Million Dollar Suitcase . A scenario with a challenge was described and we had to find a solution. It went like this: Three suitcases are all labeled incorrectly, and you must get the labels right in order to find the million dollar suitcase (the one full of hundred dollar bills).  The labels on the suitcases read as follows: $100 Bills $1 Bills Both ($100 & $1 Bills) You are allowed one test. You may remove only one bill from a single suitcase, after which you must make your determination. You can’t peek into the suitcases. Can you find the million dollar suitcase? The Solution I read about it and devised a solution before checking it out on the site. My explanation was: Assuming all of the suitcases are definitely mislabeled - we can safely remove one (i.e. the $100 suitcase) from the game and consider only two suitcases: $1 and Both.  If we select the one ...

Vivekananda 150 at Sri Krishna Gana Sabha

Vivekananda 150 at Sri Krishna Gana Sabha , a set on Flickr.